Friday, April 28, 2006

Thirukkural on your desktop


I've become a regular blogger at YCoolThing and yesterday, I was thinking of doing something for that. I wrote a Perl script to scrape the 1330 couplets of Thirukkural and their English translations by G.U. Pope. Quickly, I wrote up a widget that displays a random Kural and its translation. Featured in the screenshot is Sanjeeth's favourite Kural, in which, I like the beautiful similie for human reflex. I've blogged that here where I've given the link to download the widget. Once the widget comes up, you can press F8 key to toggle the view between the widget layer and your regular windows layer and you can click on the widget to generate random kurals. Please try that out and tell me how you liked it.
Aside: This is the first time I wrote anything for people to download and use freely. So I wanted to feel like an open-source guy and I released my code under The Perl Artistic License. :D

4 Comments:

Blogger Karthik said...

Wise thought! Neat Work!

April 28, 2006 1:14 pm  
Blogger Sundar said...

Thanks Karthik. :-)

April 28, 2006 1:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is the link to download.

June 22, 2010 6:07 pm  
Blogger Sundar said...

@Anonymous: You can get the widget from http://ycoolthing.com/downloads/Kural.widget More details regarding installation can be found at http://ycoolthing.com/archives/20

June 29, 2010 9:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home