Monday, February 20, 2006

I got "mug"ged

A few months back, we'd been to a Tamil movie and marketing people from MetLife insurance were conducting a lucky draw under the garb of a "quiz." Not wanting to miss any opportunity, I participated in it, but, forgot all about it. Two weeks back, I got a letter from a representative from MetLife asking me to collect a surprise gift that I'd won! I was cautious enough to confirm that there are no strings attached.
MetLife Mug
And the D-day came. That was the last day to collect the gift and I'd to reach their office by 6 PM. Since I didn't have any liquid cash with me that day, I borrowed a hundred-rupee note from my friend Sanjeeth and hired an auto rickshaw to reach their office just in time. My friends might know how hard the decision to hire an auto would've been for me given how value-conscious I am ;) After establishing my identity beyond doubt and signing the necessary papers, the representative gave me a nice little box, which I frantically opened to find the above mug! It took 66 Indian Rupees for me and all I got was a mug (with MetLife advertised in it), an event planner (which I'll never use) and the knowledge that either both the autos had proper fare meters or both were tampered to the same effect!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe.. that's why their ad says "have you met your life yet" or something to that effect. Or it is a sophisticated 'tengina chippu' (coconut crust) ;)

February 21, 2006 3:58 pm  
Blogger Sundar said...

I didn't get the 'tengina chippu' connection. Are you relating it with the mug or life?

February 21, 2006 5:38 pm  
Blogger Karthik said...

If not for anything else, at least for the 66 Indian Rupees you spent you must make good use of the event planner. Start planning!!

Btw, I understand you love for wikipedia but a link for Auto Rickshaw is a bit uncanny!!

February 21, 2006 8:34 pm  
Blogger Sundar said...

Those 66 rupees are a sunk cost and hence should not affect my decision to use or not to use the planner. But, I take your advice. Regarding auto link, I can't but admit to my shameless plug.

February 22, 2006 11:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sundar, I meant to suggest that the mug is as good as a 'chippu' after your efforts and expectation. There is this slang idiom in Kannada - 'to give a chippu'. If you get a 'chippu' at the end of it means you hardly got anything worth the effort. Well, perhaps not. The mug does look nice.

Anyway, sunk cost is really a nice idea. I had written about it some time back. It helps you not to worry. Very philosophical :)

February 22, 2006 12:40 pm  
Blogger Sundar said...

Oh, I didn't know about the idiom. Sunk cost is not just a philosophical comfort, but a real phenomenon. Let me read your posts in leisure.

February 22, 2006 12:45 pm  
Blogger Ambar said...

Sundar believes in a daily dose of wikipedia link-love.

And Happy Birthday!

February 22, 2006 8:31 pm  
Blogger Sundar said...

Thanks for your wishes, Ambar.

February 23, 2006 11:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home