Why do I love Perl?
1. Perl is as much idiomatic as any natural language would be. In fact, it has admittedly received inspiration from Greek, and English among other languages like sed, awk, C and BASIC. It's a linguist's delight.
2. The language has a certain theme in design and consistence of philosophy despite having evolved chaotically.
3. The documentation has brilliant prose. A typical example would be this piece.
4. It has a wonderful community behind it who add to it's repertoire.
5. It's somewhat liberating to write text with Perl. It makes easy things easier, nothing impossible.