Thursday, December 22, 2005

Why do I love Perl?

1. Perl is as much idiomatic as any natural language would be. In fact, it has admittedly received inspiration from Greek, and English among other languages like sed, awk, C and BASIC. It's a linguist's delight.
2. The language has a certain theme in design and consistence of philosophy despite having evolved chaotically.
3. The documentation has brilliant prose. A typical example would be this piece.
4. It has a wonderful community behind it who add to it's repertoire.
5. It's somewhat liberating to write text with Perl. It makes easy things easier, nothing impossible.

6 Comments:

Blogger Srinath Srinivasa said...

So you have fully converted to Perl. It's a nice language.. almost like swearing ;)

C conversation looks positively civilized compared to Perl..

December 27, 2005 12:43 pm  
Blogger Sundar said...

//fully converted// - sort of. :-) It's now the language of choice for programming to me, where the choice exists. But, thanks to legacy and other constraints, I'm also programming in Java, C++ and some custom languages.

December 27, 2005 1:24 pm  
Blogger Sundar said...

Can't but agree on the "civilised conversation" part.

December 27, 2005 2:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sundar,

I study at iiit-b and am from the 2005 batch.Are you the guy who came and gave an introductory talk on "Boot-Loaders" in one of Prof.Bhatt class recently? Just asking... :D

And by the way, I hear that Python is a _lot_ better!

December 28, 2005 9:52 pm  
Blogger Sundar said...

That was not me. I think Ananth (http://wisiwug.blogspot.com) gave that talk.

I heard that Python's good too.

December 29, 2005 8:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


It's a nice language.. almost like swearing ;)


I am going to use this as my signature for some time, if you don't mind ;-)

January 09, 2006 1:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home