Wednesday, June 30, 2004

The language of Love ...

As my script was running through gigabytes of data, spitting some weirdly encoded information, I was feeling very bored to sit staring at the monitor and running commands like "ps x", "ls -lh some_arbitrarily_long_path", zmore some_zip_archive etc for the umpteenth time just to see if the process (also me) is alive. Just then I got reminded that my friend had asked me to buy something from M.G. Road. Wow! What a wonderful reason to go to M.G. Road.

The timing could not have been more apt, it was 5:30 PM and a gentle drizzle had just stopped making the setting perfect. I walked along the pavement gazing at the huge buildings (believe me!), crossed the Mayo Hall and Symphony Cinema Hall and finally reached the opticals shop, all the while watching people and listening (no deliberate over hearing) to all the languages spoken in Bangalore. The crowd primarily consisted of young couples with dreamy eyes walking hand-in-hand, making hush-hush statements in mostly English. I was wondering if English is the lingua franca of 'modern day' Love or if these couples don't have a common native tongue.

I bought the contact lens cleaning solution and was returning back to my office on the opposite pavement. Long after the end of the 'colourful' Brigade Road area, my eyes caught the sight of a bright young couple standing in a place unusual for such meetings. The girl appeared to be highly animated, so I stopped for a while and watched. Having been exposed only to the good old Doordarshan and having been forced to watch every program relayed by them on Sundays including the 'News for the hearing impaired', I could recognise the sign language she was using. Oh! I realised that either the girl is dumb or the boy is deaf or both. The question I had about the language of Love is long gone from my mind as I walked back to my office ...

7 Comments:

Blogger sanjeeth said...

"The" way of expressing love in Bangalore is placing hands in each other's back pockets.

July 01, 2004 2:39 pm  
Blogger Praveer said...

!W##E$TEF%$&HH FETDBFH$%^&JR^ )DK#M%^*#$%GT
Thats I Love You in Gibberish Swear Words !
Install the font to see it properly !
Come to me to learn it :D

July 01, 2004 3:42 pm  
Blogger Ananth Narayan said...

What makes u so sure that the dumg girl / deaf boy were in love? I think we need to understand and appreciate relationships better and that love is not the only relationship that a girl and guy can have.

July 02, 2004 12:34 pm  
Blogger Sundar said...

Anthroponym,
You have a good point. I agree that it can't be decisively concluded that they are lovers. But to the extent I've seen this world, I could feel the relationship from the intimacy, postures, gestures etc which I didn't detail in the blog though. Sometimes, we do take the 'poetic license' to create a screen play out of real events. I don't think it's wrong until it serves the purpose and until the characters remain anonymous.

Sundar

July 02, 2004 12:58 pm  
Blogger Ishwar said...

why no posts for a very long time?

September 13, 2004 7:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No post for extremely long time.
He is busy coding 63 lines of code (including 10 comment lines and 10 blank lines) per week :)
--anthro

September 13, 2004 9:10 am  
Blogger Sundar said...

Will post soon!

September 13, 2004 9:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home